Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Word (or 1500) on Laughter Therapy

I recently did a presentation to the Pine Ridge District School Board on Weight Management. I had such a great time with the ladies here (teachers rock, esp. you Deb), that I told almost all my friends and family about what I presented to them. One of the sub topics we discussed was on Laughter Therapy, a way of managing stress. And yes, I actually made them do this as part of my presentation, and they were all such good sports!

Now most of you who know me know I LOVE to laugh and it can be a pretty loud one, inherited from Ma Dukes no doubt! I love smiling, I love laughing, I love being around people who make me smile, and I love passing on my contagious laughter and smiles to everyone I know.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

So I've decided, as part of my Haley mini-series to empower the rest of you to experience Laughter Therapy as a way of managing stress.

So, what is Laughter Therapy?

It is a form of therapy which encourages us to use the natural physiological process of laughter to release the painful emotions of anger, fear and boredom and STRESS.
Because the brain cannot differentiate true laughter from “forced” laughter, we get the same benefits from pretending as we do from the real thing!

And why Should We Laugh more Often?
Dr. Lee Berk and fellow researcher Dr. Stanley Tan of Loma Linda University in California have been studying the effects of laughter on the immune system. To date their published studies have shown that laughing lowers blood pressure, reduces stress hormones, increases muscle flexion, and boosts immune function by raising levels of infection-fighting T-cells, disease-fighting proteins called Gamma-interferon and B-cells, which produce disease-destroying antibodies.
Laughter also triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, and produces a general sense of well-being.


Now, it's no secret I'm kind of a dork and can laugh at "stupid humour", so here are some great resources to help you find your inner comedian and begin feeling like a lunatic.
Movies which will never let you down and make you laugh time and time again...

Home Alone
Zoolander
Wedding Crashers

Ok, I'm going to stop right there and basically say any movie staring Ryan Reynolds, Vince Vaughan, Owen/Luke Wilson, Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler or any and all of the above work great!

So get that funny scene in your head:

Sit down, placing your feet firmly on the ground, back erect
Gently soften the eyes and close.
Now, imagine your funny visual and laugh,
Laugh really really loud, laugh harder, fake it if you have too!
LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment