Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Marathon Training Day 3

My goal has been set. I'm running the Toronto half marathon this year. This is my year! Last year I signed up for it, got pumped up to do it, but my faulty knees just wouldn't keep up with me.
Since I was in high school, I've had painful knees. I love running, I loved track, I love the treadmill, I love my Nike Frees! In my first year of University I finally went to my doctor because it was unbearable. I have Patella Femoral Syndrome, a common problem for women and a common sports injury. I was in physio therapy for some time and my knees felt somewhat better. However, the advice was not something I could follow, stop running (but Im an addict!), no high heels (are you joking, I'm 5 foot 3?!?!) and stop crossing your legs (but I wear skirts and dresses, and my mom told me its un- lady like!!)

Regardless, Im pushing through and I will be documenting my progress, as well as adding another mini-series: Eating and training like an athlete (a healthy one, not an Olympian who apparently eats a certain sponsors certain fast food every chance he gets- not naming names!).

The purpose of this mini series is two-fold. I want to complete a race, and eventually do a full marathon and qualify for the Boston Marathon, Im thinking 5 years from now (surgery time included- hehehe), for the big 3-0! eeiikkk.
And I want to eat (maybe test some products along the way) and train like a real athlete while documenting my progress- successes and failures.

In order to off set my knee pain I will be back in physio, I'll be taking weekly yoga classes and swimming as often as possible.

So this is Day 3, Day 1 was off to a good start, Day 2, I managed to slightly injure myself as I slammed my car door into my jaw and thigh trying to prevent my dear puppy, Bruster from jumping out into a parking lot! YIKES, the abuse I take!!

But tomorrow is a new day, Im starting fresh, like I have never run before in order to prevent immediate injury to my knees and I look forward to my early morning 2k light with my dogs- I have a greyhound, he's very encouraging.

Stay tuned for helpful recipes, exercises, healing tips and my progress as a half marathoner!

No comments:

Post a Comment