Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cuz sometimes a girl just needs some M&M's

It's kind of funny hearing the stereotype that nutritionists are perfect eaters 100% of the time. And mind you, there are some out there, and all the power to them! But me, I prefer a more laid back approach to health. I don't believe in being a militant about proper eating, I think we're all human and none of us are perfect- thank goodness for that, what a boring world we'd live in. I'm not as rigid as some people think I may be- and I'm ok with that, I don't want people to be ashamed to eat around me, or think I'm judging their food choices, that's not me! If you want my opinion or advice, ask, otherwise who cares! I think life is about balance. I think that if I'm eating well 90% of the time, 10% won't kill me- it hasn't so far anyways.

And today is Sunday, Sunday is my day of relaxation, heck it's after 6pm and I'm still in slippers and a robe! Sunday is my "cheat day", it's the day I pick up a DVD to watch with my boyfriend, a bottle of wine, we eat whatever we feel like (tonight it's peanut M&M's and layered nacho dip with Multigrain Tostito's). I LOVE Sunday's- yoga pants, my Trent U hoodie, a movie under a blanket with a good looking guy and some treats, and wine, what's not to love?!?! Oh I should also mention this is a make-up free, messy hair day- my fav, I'm not too sure it's Blake's fav tho ;)

The point of this post is BALANCE. We could all use some. Even on my "cheat days" I make sure I'm still taking supplements, I eat a good breakfast, and have it in my head that Monday is a mega veggie day. Whenever I'm stocking up on snacks for Lazy Sunday, I still try to keep my portions in check (I also find that because I eat well, I can't eat as much of the bad stuff as most can). I bought the smallest sized M&M package I could find, and we share it- neither one of us is willing to risk bodies we work hard for over a few extra M&M's. I put the Tostito's in a bowl and never eat from the bag- once that bowl is gone, that's it, no more! And we always stock up on water, not pop!

Depriving yourself of certain foods you love is not what Holistic living is meant to be about- it's about treating yourself once and a while, managing what you're eating and the amount you're eating- these are habits that once established, should never be revised.

I urge you to take cautious steps if you have, or are thinking about having a cheat day in your week. Sometimes people run with this idea and will have ice cream for breakfast, pizza and wings for lunch a bottle of wine for dinner and a jumbo bag of chips before bed- this is NOT (!) what cheat days are for, that would be known as a "Predisposing the body to Cardiovascular Disease Day".

Follow my guidelines for "healthier" cheat days, and you won't worry about CVD or weight gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment