Friday, February 26, 2010

Dear Haley :)

The next 5 or so of my blogs will be dedicated to a young woman I went to Jr. High with (shout out to the PINES, holla!). She is someone I am using as my inspiration for the next week, and I'm so proud of her strength, determination and motivation to change her life and lead a healthier life. This mini series of blogs will focus on my friend Haley, but can be applied to any lifestyle at any life stage.
Here's to Haley, namaste.

We are starting off with a recipe I have used and loved from one of my teachers at IHN, Eva. Eva is like the walking Earth Mother, she lives, eats and breathes a way of living which so many of us, myself included need to strive towards to better our planet, our bodies, our children and the animals who grace the earth with us.
This is a raw soup, depending on seasons it is ideal to eat between 40-60% raw food. This will increase energy, get more nutrients into the system, and what I love most about this soup it's simple, quick, inexpensive to make and you can take it with you without zapping it in the microwave!

Raw Cream of Carrot Soup

This raw soup is great for summer days when you don’t want to use your stove, or great for carrying to work to avoid use of a microwave. Raw ingredients hold more vitamins and minerals than cooked because cooking often destroys heat sensitive nutrients.

Ingredients
2 cups pure water
3 medium carrots
1-2 tsp chopped ginger
1 medium local apple
1 avocado
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
½- 1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp whole cumin seed
½ tsp whole coriander seed
½ tsp Celtic sea salt or Himalayan rock salt
2 dashes cayenne powder

Directions
Pour water into a blender. Add coarsely chopped carrots and ginger, cored and chopped apple, spooned out avocado. Squeeze and add fresh lemon juice. Add all the spices and salt. Blend until smooth.
Serve with your favourite fresh herbs and edible flowers. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment